Trump Hush Money Trial Betting Markets Heat Up With Verdict Possible This Week

Written by:
t c jackson
Published on:

The so-called "hush money trial" involving former U.S. President and presumptive GOP nominee Donald Trump began the week Tuesday with closing arguments from the defense.


Donald Trump is “innocent” and did not break the law, a lawyer for the former president told jurors.

The defense arguments are expected to last the entire day.

“President Trump is innocent. He did not commit any crimes, and the district attorney has not met their burden of proof, period,” said defense attorney Todd Blanche, who said the evidence in the case should “leave you wanting” and that the prosecution’s star witness told “lies” on the stand and cannot be trusted.

“The consequences of the lack of proof that you all heard over the past five weeks” are simple, Blanche said. “A not guilty verdict, period.”

Trump stands trial in Manhattan for allegedly making payments during the 2016 election to prevent a porn actor from going public with her claims of a sexual encounter with Trump.

Because prosecutors have the burden of proof in the case, they will deliver their arguments last.

Currently, BetOnline is offering odds of -400 that Trump will be convicted of a crime before the election.  Up until now, they have mostly offered Manhattan trial odds in regard to which individuals would show up to support the formal president.

The Manifold prediction market offered a wealth of hush money trial betting markets with 75% believing Trump will be found guilty of at least one crime -300 and only 18% believing there will be a mistrial.  The odds of a not guilty verdict were coming in at 7% or +1329.

68% of those placing bets believe the trial will conclude before May 31, which seems increasingly likely.


Politics News