Poker Champ Suing New York City Hedge Funds: Demands Return of $1.4 Mil Investment

Submitted by Aaron Goldstein on

Written by :

Aaron Goldstein

Published on :

2002 World Series of Poker main event winner Robert Varkonyi is suing a New York hedge funds demanding they return his $1.4 million investment.  He and his poker playing wife, Olga, filed the suit earlier this month against Chetan Kapur and his hedge fund, ThinkStrategy Capital Management.  The investment was tied to a Sarasota, Florida Ponzi scheme managed by Arthur Nadal, the couple claim. 

From Forbes.com The Jungle

According to the 42-page complaint filed in New York state court in Mineola, Varkonyi alleges that his investment in Kapur’s TS Multi-Strategy Fund may be “decimated” by the improper liquidation of the hedge fund that began in November. Varkonyi and his wife claim they are “entitled to a return of their investments.”

Varkonyi, who used to work for Goldman Sachs, exemplifies the growing connection between Wall Street and poker. But even for Varkonyi, who did not respond to requests for comment, the association between Texas Hold ‘em and high finance does not always mix very well. While hedge fund manager David Einhorn placed 18th in the World Series of Poker’s main event in 2006 and Aaron Brown, a former poker pro, now works as a risk manager for hedge fund firm AQR Capital Management, sometimes navigating successfully between the poker and investing worlds is not so easy.

The poker champ also noted that he invested funds in Class A and Class B hedge funds. 

Varkonyi says in his complaint that the asset swap between the Class B and Class A shares of Kapur’s hedge fund was done “with the intent of harming the Class B limited partners and benefitting KBC Financial.” He claims he was led to believe the hedge fund’s Class B units would be unleveraged investments and that KBC Financial had no recourse to the assets underlying those units.

Kapur’s attorney would not speak with Forbes.com about the case. KBC Financial said it’s “confident in this case that the bank has done nothing wrong.”

- Aaron Goldstein, Gambling911.com

Follow us on Twitter for all the latest breaking gambling news

Follow us on Facebook.  Become a fan here.

Related Content

Sacramento Area Casino Mass Stabbing Suspect Identified, Captured: Five Stabbed

Sacramento Area Casino Mass Stabbing Suspect Identified, Captured: Five Stabbed

Police have identified 22-year-old Joseph Naugle in connection with a Wednesday mass stabbing incident at the Thunder Valley Casino Resort, just north of Sacramento.
PA Bans 11 Individuals From Gambling Including Woman Who Left 1-Year Old in Car for 3 Hours in 80 Degree Heat

Pennsylvania Bans 11 Individuals From Gambling Including Woman Who Left 1-Year Old in Car for 3 Hours in 80 Degree Heat

Another was banned for having 28 counterfeit $50 bills, some of which he used at table games.
Poker Dealer Accused of Sparking San Diego California Wildfire

Poker Dealer Accused of Sparking San Diego California Wildfire

The suspect has a lengthy criminal record and documented mental health issues, according to court records.
Fugitive Sports Betting Influencer Vegas Dave Could Be Extradited From Bora Bora

Fugitive Sports Betting Influencer Vegas Dave Could Be Extradited From Bora Bora

A flashy sports betting influencer — known for his Birkin bag collections and mansions — was slapped with an arrest warrant from Las Vegas judge Joe Hardy Thursday after he no-showed a civil court proceeding, according to court records.