..

Del Mar Cancels Weekend Races After 15 Jockeys Contract COVID-19

Written by:
Associated Press
Published on:
Jul/15/2020

Del Mar canceled racing for the upcoming weekend after 15 jockeys tested positive for COVID-19.


*6 weeks free trial - test drive - best in the biz
*Deposit with Bitcoin - They'll double it!
*Get your own domain, customized website, logo
*Switch in under an hour, earn mrore $$ for doing so
*Odds featured on DonBest.com
*Thousands of betting options daily + live in-play
*Easy and discreet payment options include gift cards
*Walmart gift cards also accepted
Start Earning Money From Your Sheet Here

All the track’s riders and personnel who work in the jockeys’ room were tested by San Diego County public health officials at the request of the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club. Of the 15 positive tests, all were believed to be asymptomatic.

“Canceling this weekend’s races will give us additional time to monitor the situation and give the individuals who tested positive additional time to recover,” track CEO Joe Harper said Wednesday.

Racing is expected to resume on July 24.

Contact tracing is underway. All but one of the riders who tested positive rode at the recently concluded Los Alamitos meet in Orange County. The mass testing was ordered by the track after jockeys Flavien Prat and Victor Espinoza tested positive. They are both quarantining at home.

The track isn’t identifying any of the other riders. However, some have confirmed their own cases.

Umberto Rispoli, who won seven races last weekend at Del Mar, tweeted Wednesday that he was positive, too, and was in quarantine. “I’m feeling more than well,” he posted, adding that he was asymptomatic.

The card Saturday was to have featured Maximum Security in the $150,000 San Diego Handicap. Last year, he became the first horse disqualified in Kentucky Derby history after crossing the finish line first.

Now trained by Hall of Famer Bob Baffert, Maximum Security was to be ridden by Luis Saez. However, the jockey tested positive for COVID-19 last weekend at Keeneland in Kentucky. As a result, Baffert had named Abel Cedillo as the replacement rider.

“He’s training really well. He looks fantastic,” Baffert told The Associated Press. “The race will be pushed back a week and he will run then.”

Horse Racing News

2022 Belmont Stakes Morning Odds

We the People was the 2-1 favorite coming into the 2022 Belmont Stakes with the morning odds.  His odds had been pushed to 6-1 by early afternoon.

We the People Payout Odds to Win Belmont Stakes

We the People Payout Odds to Win Belmont Stakes

“The only thing that concerns us is the favorite [We the People] seems to like a wet track an awful lot,” Rich Strike's trainer Eric Reed said. “Our rider said he [Rich Strike] loves the mud. We'll take whatever we get.”

Nest Payout Odds to Win Belmont Stakes

Nest Payout Odds to Win Belmont Stakes

Trainer Todd Pletcher claims that he and the owners always had Nest in mind to run the Belmont Stakes in this year's Triple Crown due to the distance of 1 1/2 miles.  Nest promises a payout of $80 for every $10 bet should she go on to win this weekend's Belmont Stakes.

Mo Donegal Payout Odds to Win Belmont Stakes

Mo Donegal Payout Odds to Win Belmont Stakes

Mo Donegal will pay out $50 for every $20 bet with a Belmont Stakes victory, making him the horse with the second shortest odds after We the People (5-2)

Rich Strike Payout Odds to Win Belmont Stakes

Rich Strike Payout Odds to Win Belmont Stakes

The 2022 Kentucky Derby winner Rich Strike will pay out $70 for every $20 bet with a Belmont Stakes victory.

Syndicate