New Hampshire Governor Supports Sports Betting

Submitted by Associated Press on

Written by :

Associated Press

Published on :

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — Proponents of legalized sports betting in New Hampshire believe backing from the governor is giving their proposal a boost.


START YOUR OWN SPORTSBOOK - PAY A SMALL FEE PER CUSTOMER PER WEEK

Republican Gov. Chris Sununu mentioned his support for allowing betting on sports games during his budget address earlier this month. Rep. Timothy Lang, who is sponsoring a bill to do just that, said the support was a pleasant surprise.

“We’re not creating a new industry here, we’re just brining an illicit industry into a legalized industry,” he told the Concord Monitor .

The bill would legalize betting on professional sports and most Division I college sports, excluding games involving New Hampshire schools. Both mobile and retail gambling would be allowed. Most of the revenue is expected to come from mobile gambling, though Eureka Casino Resort, the company that recently purchased Seabrook Greyhound Park has expressed interest in a retail operation there.

“If the bill passes, they’ll seek town approval to offer sports betting there,” Lang said. “That’d be the kind of place you can go to sit and watch a game and place a bet.”

Lang’s bill earmarks 10 percent of revenue for gambling addiction services, with the bulk of the revenue going into the state’s education trust fund. It estimates revenue of up to $7.5 billion for education in fiscal year 2021, and $13.5 million two years later.

The fantasy sports industry already has spent thousands of dollars lobbying New Hampshire lawmakers, who are also considering a Senate bill that would legalize two casinos that would include sports betting.

Christopher Cipolla, a lobbyist for DraftKings, told lawmakers that New Hampshire residents wager more than $625 million per year, mostly through offshore websites.

“This massive black market lacks necessary consumer protections and generates no revenue for the state of New Hampshire,” he said

Related Content

California blackjack ban halted for now

California Cardroom Crackdown Halted: Club One Casino in Fresno Breathes Sigh of Relief

A preliminary injunction was issued Thursday which paused the ban on blackjack games at state cardrooms.
Gambling911.com live news

Live Gambling News, Top Trending: Updates 24/7 - Friday May 22, 2026

Kyle Busch - California Cardroom Crackdown Halted - South Carolina Casino Kidnapping and Murder - Brendan Sorsby
Gambling911 News

Live Gambling News, Top Trending: Updates 24/7 - Thursday May 21, 2026

Live News: FanDuel Bet Protect+ - Kyle Busch - Dylan Harper - Senate Hearing on Prediction Markets - Maryland $2.6 Million Casino Win - Brendan Sorsby - UFC Oklahoma
AI watching you

AI Is Now Watching How You Gamble — Here's What That Means for Canadian Players

Flutter Entertainment, the parent company behind some of the world's largest gambling brands, committed $158 million to responsible gambling technology in 2025. The investment is built around artificial intelligence...