..

Hawaii the Latest State to Mull Legalized Poker

Written by:
Patrick Flanigan
Published on:
Feb/08/2010

The 50th state, Hawaii, may be legalizing poker on the Pacific island, but only for visitors.  Hawaii is following the lead of a handful of other US states looking to legalize poker or sports betting or both as a means of boosting their local economies.

From the Star Bulletin:

Last week, the Committee on Hawaiian Affairs adopted House Bill 2759, which could establish casinos on Hawaiian Home Lands, with 80 percent of revenues to benefit Hawaiian Home Land communities, and the other 20 percent going to the state's general fund. The bill is now on its way to the House Judiciary Committee after tallying a 40-9 vote by the full chamber on Friday. Dianne Kay, president of the Hawaii Coalition Against Legalized Gambling, expressed "shock" that it breezed through.

On Thursday, the state House Judiciary and Consumer Protection committees passed House Bill 2251 to establish a gaming commission that could issue one 5-year license to a casino gaming operation in Honolulu. It also limits the activity to those over 21 years old, and creates a wagering tax on casino gaming.

The joint committee adopted the measure to give the state "an alternative source of funding to help address Hawaii's approximately $1.4 billion deficit, and jump-start Hawaii's economic recovery," Rep. Jon Riki Karamatsu, who introduced the bill, said in a statement.

Other bills being proposed would allow for a state lottery.  Hawaii is one of two states (Utah being the other) that does not offer a state lottery.

Patrick Flanigan, Gambling911.com  

Gambling News

Conference Champ Odds; Heisman and CFP Shakeup

Conference Champ Odds; Heisman and CFP Shakeup

Bryce Young is back in the Heisman driver's seat.

What is The Spread on the Houston vs. Cincinnati AAC Championship Game December 4, 2021

What is The Spread on the Houston vs. Cincinnati AAC Championship Game December 4, 2021

Gambling911.com had an early line on the 2021 AAC Championship game between Houston and Cincinnati. We had this one at Bearcats -11.5.

What is The Spread on the Georgia Alabama SEC Championship Game December 3, 2021

What is The Spread on the Georgia Alabama SEC Championship Game December 4, 2021

Gambling911.com had an early line on the 2021 SEC Championship game between Georgia and Alabama. We have this one at UGA -5 but there is technically not a home field advantage.  Plenty of UGA and Bama fans will be on hand.  As such our line was set at Georgia -3.5.

Judge Denies Seminole Tribe’s Stay on Gambling Expansion

Judge Denies Seminole Tribe’s Stay on Gambling Expansion

A federal district judge rejected a stay requested by the Seminole Tribe of Florida late Wednesday after an earlier ruling blocked the tribe’s deal with the state to expand gambling and online sports betting statewide.

Syndicate